Revision of the Leave Offered Through the Wounded Warriors Leave Act of 2015
From: Lynn Pallas-Barber
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:49 PM
To: Regional Coordinators; NBAs
Cc: Jimmie Waldon; Clint Burelson; Lamont Brooks; Michael Foster; Idowu Balogun; Javier Pineres
Subject: FW: REVISED Notification No. N19C20180435 USPS Proposes to Revise MI EL-510-2016-8 Wounded Warriors Leave
Brothers and Sisters,
Please find attached the notification from the USPS that they have revised the leave that is offered through the Wounded Warriors Leave (WWL) Act of 2015 to all eligible employees at the beginning of each leave year. This will begin effective leave year 2019 (January 5, 2019). The eligible employees will receive an allotment of 104 hours of WWL. WWL will continue to be provided to newly hired employees at the beginning of their term of employment as required by the terms of the 2015 Act.
WWL is an authorized absence from work to undergo medical treatment for a service-connected disability rated 30% or more. It is a separate leave category, distinct from sick leave. Approved WWL cannot be adversely used against an eligible employee for attendance and discipline purposes. To request WWL an employee must submit a PS Form 3971 to their appropriate supervisor. There is an exception to the advance approval for unexpected treatment the qualifies for WWL. The supervisor is responsible for approving or disapproving the PS Form 3971.
To verify that WWL requested is appropriately used for the treatment of the service-connected disability, the requesting employee must submit to the supervisor a copy of PS Form 5980, Treatment Verification for WWL, certified by a health care provider that the employee used the leave to receive treatment for the covered disability. The employee must provide the verification no later than 15 calendar days after the employee returns to work. A properly completed PS Form 5980 also provides for frequency and/or duration of prescribed treatment that would necessitate the employee taking WWL beyond the date of appointment identified in the Employee Information portion of the form.
- Eligible new hires will receive 104 hours of WWL upon hire (as required by the 2015 law) to be used for the remainder of the current calendar.
- Each January, all disabled veterans with a 30% or more disability rating will receive 104 hours of WWL to use during the calendar year.
- At the end of each calendar year, an remaining WWL will be forfeited but, assuming the employee still has a combined disability rating of 30% or more, he/she will receive a new 104 hours at the start of the new year.
- Any unused WWL is not rolled over to the next year, nor will it be paid out if the employee leaves.
- WWL can be used concurrent with FMLA, when appropriate.
This replaces the draft copy that was sent on 10/18/18. Any questions or concerns please free to contact me or Jimmie Waldon, Asst. Dir Maintenance Craft.
This is an important benefit for our disabled veteran employees.
Please share with your state and local representatives.
Assistant Clerk Craft Director
1300 L Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005